Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, New Decade

New Year's Eve was an interesting night. Maybe I'll post the details later, but I wouldn't count on it. Suffice it to say, there was alcohol involved, but everyone got home safe.

Personally, it was a real eye opener to just how much I've missed all my friends since we moved to Iowa. I've always been a private person, very introverted. I don't like big groups, and I've never been one to make friends quickly or easily. But my group of friends from back home . . . they really are like family. And I don't know why it's taken me till now to fully realize that fact.

Anyway, at one point during the night, one of our friends commented that we were entering a new decade, which I guess I had just not thought about in the midst of all the holidays. I knew the year was coming to an end WAY more quickly than it seemed like it should. But the decade? Seriously, that one caught me off guard. I guess it depends on where you consider the decade to end, but I'm member of the Class of 2001, and we were strict advocates of the belief that the decade/century/millennium (that last one being most important at the time) started in 2001 and not 2000. So, following that thinking . . . hello, new decade.

2001 - 2010 was an interesting time for me. Just so happens, like I said, that I started that decade by graduating high school. Went on to spend half of it in college, and . . . well, I haven't really done much since then. At least it doesn't feel like it, not with no job, no kids, my ten-year reunion coming up, and the fact that I got married being really the only thing to report. Oh, right, and a useless BA in music.

So, my life isn't exactly where I thought it would be 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago. But that's okay. Stuff happens. And if things happened exactly the way I had planned, life would be pretty boring, right? That's what I keep telling myself, but the truth is, I'm a planner. I like when everything goes the way I expect it to. And having a whole lot up in the air right now -- both getting-life-on-track things as well as recent family developments that I won't go into right now -- well, I'm not handling it all that well.

So I'm trying to turn this whole "new decade" thing into a positive. No, the last decade wasn't a great one for me. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way -- that's just the kind of world we're in right now -- but I can't do anything about all that. What I can do something about is myself, and my attitude, and some aspects of my situation, if not all of it.

So, in an effort to get control over things that I CAN control, my new resolution is to really commit to losing weight and getting healthier. I've half-assed this in the past, but it's time to really buckle down. I've always told myself that I need to get in better shape before we have kids so I have the energy to be a good mom. Well, we're not quite to that point yet, but it'll sneak up on me, just like this whole decade thing snuck up on me. What a terrible day it would be to finally decide we're financially able to start thinking about a family, but feel like I'm not healthy enough to survive the pregnancy.

But really, it's about more than just losing weight, which is why I hate to think of this as a typical new year's resolution. This is just one step, one thing I can do, to get my life moving in a direction I want it to go.

Anyway, I plan on using this blog as a way to keep myself accountable, and keep track of my progress as I tackle this. I've been wanting to post more regularly, and while this isn't exactly what I had in mind, it's as good an excuse as any. We'll see how this thing goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment