Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 1: Fail (Week 13: Major Success!)

Well my first day trying to adhere to my new schedule -- and only a half-day schedule -- was without success. I slept an hour past when I was supposed to, and that pretty much shattered my momentum.

When it comes to food, I've gotten really good about, if I have a bad day or make a bad decision, not letting it completely destroy me. In the past I've been one of those people who tries to diet for a few days and then eats an entire pizza on day 3 and just falls back into old habits from there. This time around, I refuse to do that. One bad meal, day, week . . . hell, I could fall off the wagon for three months . . . but it's still no reason to give up on the rest of my life. I'm going to get this weight off, it's just a matter of how long it takes.

Anyway, I clearly have not yet learned to apply this same principle to other aspects of my life. The "all-or-nothing" mentality prevailed. Considering that my schedule only covers a small portion of the day, you'd think that I could have just moved everything down an hour. Wake up at 8:30, breakfast at 9, workout at 9:30, etc. But of course that's not what happened.

The old me would make excuses for myself. The new me . . . well, I'll still make the excuses, but I at least recognize that it's still 100% my fault (or, without the guilt trip, my CHOICE) that I got nothing done today.

Today's excuse being . . . I hit a major milestone on my weight-loss: 197 lbs! (Yes, I'm using specific numbers now.) Finally, after three months, I've made it under 200 lbs for the first time in years!

For the past two Mondays I've weighed in at 200 lbs exactly, so I knew I was close. Truth be told, I even peeked at the scale and discovered the news late last week, since last Monday's weight was due to a conscious choice not to count my calories for a 4-day span the previous week (long story for another day). So, I didn't know what that scale would say last week. I wasn't surprised that it didn't go down, and was pretty pleased that I'd at least been able to maintain . . . and after a few days back on track, I was just too curious to see if I'd finally made it to 199. Which, turns out, I had!

So technically, I already knew that I'd broken the 200-lb barrier. But it wasn't official until today. So after my weigh in I spent more time than usual online, posting the news in various places, reading responses, replying to said responses . . . all the usual stuff that gets me into trouble, turning 10 minutes at the computer into 2 hours. Between that, and already feeling off due to waking up late . . . yeah. Schedule out the window. Dirty dishes in the sink. Random crap everywhere else.

But . . . tomorrow's a new day. A more productive one, hopefully. Back when I was playing WoW, Tuesday was always my most productive day of the week since the game would usually be down for maintenance. Let's see if I can channel some of that old Tuesday energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment