Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pitfalls of Technology

When I was in High School, I was one of many kids who had something like 7 different alarm clocks. I had to rotate through them because after a couple of weeks, I'd get used to one tone and sleep right through it. My mom is infamous for the line, "Patrick, get up! Your alarm's been going off for 45 minutes!!!" And that would be the first thing I'd hear. It wasn't a matter of getting up and hitting snooze, I just didn't hear the alarm tone once I got used to it. 

Ever since I got a cell phone, that's changed. I use it for my alarm clock, and every couple of weeks I change the tone when I notice that I've started getting used to the old one. Even better is the fact that I can go out and snag some fun ring tones from the internet. Right now my alarm is the marble zone music from Sonic the Hedgehog. Anyway, I love using the phone as an alarm for several other reasons too. It's not susceptible to power outages (for the most part), and I can put it wherever I want in the room to keep my groggy self guessing in the morning. 

However, there is one problem that I do forget about each year. For some reason, some phone carriers can't seem to get the daylight savings time switches right. It's only been the same for the past 7 years... For those of you not paying attention to your calendars, DST ends next weekend at 2 AM on November 4th. My phone decided to make the switch this weekend. On the plus side, I didn't have anywhere I needed to be bright and early this morning at 5:30. I just wanted to get up to keep up the habit of getting up at that time during the week. The down side is that I am now up and going an hour later than I planned. Stupid technology...

No comments:

Post a Comment